Tuesday 18 January 2011

So Many Things To Maintain

Mark 4:19
but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful..

Have you ever realised that the things that sometimes seem innocent in your everyday life can crowd out your spiritual life if you allow them? Someone once said that the Lord told them in prayer one day that this nation had become a nation of maintenance men. "You have so many things to maintain," He said. "You maintain your house. You maintain your car, your garden, your machines, your hair...." It's true. You can become a maintainer of so many natural things that you don't have any time left to maintain your own spirit! When you find yourself in that situation, it's time to look at your life and simplify it. 

Over time I have had to learn that when I am considering something I think I need or want to do, I don't just count the cost in pounds and pence, but I also think about how much time it will take to maintain it. I check to see if I can spiritually afford it. Second Timothy 2:4 says, "Don't get entangled in the affairs of this life." One thing I've learned over the last 20 years: There are always things that come along and try and steal our time in prayer, in the Bible and with the Father .... 

Nothing is as important as spending time in prayer and in the Scriptures and with the Father. Absolutely nothing in my life is as vital as that. Remember Jesus words 

John 15:5
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

God bless you as you take a little time to think about what your maintaining !!!
Pastor Martyn

Scripture Reading: 
Mark 4:18-24
John 15:1-8


No comments:

Post a Comment